Oryesa was built to honor and carry on the scholarship and virtue of Kim Mun-gi (1399-1456).
Kim Mun-gi passed the civil service exam in 1426 and held a series of official posts, but was executed after being implicated, alongside the "Six Martyred Ministers," in a plot to restore the deposed King Danjong to the throne. He was later exonerated in 1731 and posthumously granted the title "Chungui" (Loyal and Righteous) in 1757.
Oryesa was built by his descendants in 1870 and underwent a major restoration in 1994, giving it its present form. The buildings that remain today are the outer gate and Chuwonjae hall.
The loyalty of an official who risked his life over the greatest political tragedy of early Joseon — the plot to restore King Danjong — has carried through more than 300 years to remain here.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play