Geochang Donghori Lee Clan House was built in 1810 by Lee Jin-ak, and is also known as "Donghojae," named after the pen name of his grandfather Lee Ji-yu.
It sits facing south on a gentle slope inside Dongho Village, with a distinctive layout: the women's quarters area placed higher up the slope, and the men's quarters area lower down, arranged in a single line.
The women's quarters area centers on a west-facing main hall, with a mill building to the right and a storehouse wing across from it, forming an overall U-shape. A separate vegetable garden sits to the left of the main hall. The main hall itself is built with a single-eave hip-and-gable roof, five bays wide and one-and-a-half bays deep.
The way the layout follows the natural terrain, separating the women's and men's quarters by elevation, gives a real sense of the social hierarchy and daily life of a yangban (aristocratic) household of that era.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play