Geochang Woncheonjeong Pavilion was built in 1587 by Jeon Pal-go, who intended it as a place to devote himself to teaching the next generation. During the Japanese invasions of the 1590s, it also served as a secret meeting place for local militia.
The original pavilion was a four-bay wooden tiled structure, with a room on each side and a two-bay wooden floor in the center; in 1684, descendants repaired the aging building and altered its structure somewhat.
Jeon Pal-go was a disciple of the scholar Jo Sik, and during the Japanese invasions he supported Geochang's local militia and actively cooperated with Ming Chinese forces stationed at Gajo.
The pavilion itself is modest, but the story of a place once devoted to scholarship turning into a militia stronghold during wartime gives it a special weight.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play