🧭GuidU

Taishoji Temple

📍 Kyoto

Taishoji was built in 1918 and is closely associated with Shokado Shojo — one of the Three Brushes of the Kan'ei era alongside Konoe Nobutada and Hon'ami Koetsu, and a figure equally accomplished in calligraphy, painting, tea and garden design. The temple's name was received from Taishoji in Kumamoto, the family temple of the Hosokawa clan. The plaque hanging in the abbot's quarters facing the main hall came from Kyushu together with that name, and bears the hand of Wuzhun Shifan, reckoned the finest calligrapher of the Southern Song. The tea room Kan'unken is counted among the hundred notable tea rooms of Japan.

📸 Best photo spotVisit early morning or late afternoon when it's less crowded, for a clearer shot of the gate and grounds.

🗺 View on map

Automatic GPS audio guide — in the app

Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.

▶ Get it on Google Play

More places in this region

Nanzenji Temple
Nanzenji Temple
Myoshinji Temple
Myoshinji Temple
Matsunootaisha Grand Shrine
Matsunootaisha Grand Shrine
Tofukuji Temple
Tofukuji Temple
Kyotofuritsutanbashizenundokoen Park
Kyotofuritsutanbashizenundokoen Park
Tenryuji Temple
Tenryuji Temple
Heianjingu
Heianjingu
Namikawayasuyukishippokinenkan Memorial Museum
Namikawayasuyukishippokinenkan Memorial Museum

← Browse all attractions