Jikcheon Seowon in Gyeongju honors Jeong Sa-jin (1567-1616), pen name Suam, a scholar of late Joseon.
Jeong Sa-jin was born in Yeongcheon, Gyeongsangbuk-do, with the clan seat of Yeongil and courtesy name Gunseop. He studied under the scholar Jang Hyeon-gwang, pen name Yeoheon, and raised a militia during the Japanese invasions of the 1590s. In 1606, the 39th year of King Seonjo's reign, he was recommended for a post as royal tutor, and in 1611, the 3rd year of King Gwanghaegun's reign, he was offered official posts — but he declined them all, choosing to devote himself entirely to scholarship. Jikcheon Seowon was originally built in 1711, the 37th year of King Sukjong's reign, in Jikcheon, Yeongcheon, and was later relocated to its current site in Gyeongju after being torn down in 1868 under the Daewongun's order to abolish academies.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play