In 1953, widening work on the national railway line — today's JR Nara Line — which cuts north to south through the rear mound of this kofun accidentally exposed a vertical stone chamber. Close to forty bronze mirrors were recovered along with a large quantity of grave goods, among them the triangular-rimmed deity-and-beast mirrors sometimes identified with those of Himiko, queen of Yamatai. It is a major keyhole-shaped mound and among the earliest of the early Kofun period, the latter half of the 3rd century, and was designated a National Historic Site in 2000.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play