Bunsanseong was built in 1377, the 3rd year of Goryeo King U's reign, by regional commander Park Wi to defend against Japanese pirate raids. It was destroyed during the Japanese invasions of the 1590s and later rebuilt in 1871, the 8th year of King Gojong's reign, by commander Jeong Hyeon-seok.
The fortress's foundation follows the "temoe-sik" method — encircling a mountain summit — commonly used in Three Kingdoms-era fortresses, suggesting its original construction may date back as far as the Gaya period.
The wall forms a long oval running north-south around the flat terrain at the mountaintop, with near-vertical stone walls reaching about 3-4m high, though many sections have crumbled over the centuries.
Climbing to Bunsanseong offers an unobstructed view over downtown Gimhae, the Gimhae plain, the Nakdong River, and the southern sea. With a trail leading all the way to the summit, it's a great recommendation for anyone wanting to look down over Gimhae, once an ancient capital of Gaya, in a single sweeping view.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play