Sungnyemun, construction of which began in 1396 and finished in 1398, is the southern main gate of the four great gates that once encircled Hanseong, the Joseon capital. Many know it better by its nickname, Namdaemun ("South Great Gate").
It's the largest of the four gates, and its signboard is written vertically — unlike most of the others, which read horizontally. It underwent a major renovation in 1479 and survived centuries of upheaval, including the Japanese and Manchu invasions, standing as Hanseong's gateway the whole time.
Here's something worth knowing honestly: in February 2008, a man set fire to the gate, and most of its wooden upper structure burned and collapsed. The loss of what was then called "National Treasure No. 1" shocked the whole country. It was rebuilt using traditional techniques and construction methods, with restoration completing in May 2013. So the structure you see today, while faithful to the traditional design, is actually a relatively recent reconstruction — a fact that adds a different kind of weight to visiting it.
The surrounding plaza is open to view from outside anytime, while the gate tower interior only opens during set hours. It pairs naturally with neighboring Namdaemun Market for a half-day outing.
Gate tower viewing hours are 9am–6pm (last entry 5:50pm), closed Mondays. The outdoor plaza itself can be viewed anytime.
Enter an attraction’s radius and narration plays automatically. Works offline. Free.
▶ Get it on Google Play